Friday, July 27, 2012

Feed your face.

Homemade Biscotti

Recently I've been really craving some biscotti.

You know, biscotti. The crunchy/hard cookie that is designed to be dunked in teas or coffees. 
So, I made some. And they were delicious. I just used pecans as a filling, but you can also add different types of chopped nuts, dried fruit, or mini chips to your liking.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup almond flour (or another cup of AP flour. Almond flour adds a crumbliness that I prefer.)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1  1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp extract flavor (I used imitation coconut. You could try almond, or vanilla, or whatever you like.)
  • 1-1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (I used pecans), or 3/4 cup mini chips, or 1 cup chopped dried fruit (optional)
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Thoroughly combine all dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, combine extract & eggs, whisk. 
Mix egg/extract with dry ingredients, stirring completely until you have a very stiff dough. 
Flour hands to prevent dough from sticking. Lightly flour dough.
Divide dough in half and shape 2 "logs" of equal size. Place logs on greased or parchment lined cookie sheet 4 inches apart.
Flatten the log lightly, but not too much! Bake for 20-25 min, until dough is firm to the touch.
Remove from oven.
Reduce oven heat to 325 degrees.  
 Place baked log on a cutting board and slice diagonally (1/2 inch wide pieces). Return slices to cookie sheet and bake 8-10 min. on each side or until light-golden brown. 
Store the biscotti in airtight container or cookie jar.

Now, these were great, but I felt like they needed more. So, I melted down some milk chocolate chips, and coated/drizzled each of them. Then about half of them, I covered the chocolate with pecans or coconut flakes. And here is the finished product: They were pretty fantastic, if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment