Tuesday, August 28, 2012

DIY Envelopes


Make your own custom envelopes in about a minute.

A few days ago, I was a genius and posted a status on facebook...
"Like this status, and I will send you a handwritten letter."
Why did I do this? Because I love handwritten sentiments, and in this day and age, they are beyond obsolete. So I wanted to write a letter to those who would take time to read it! I didn't realize though, that my facebook status would get 30+ likes. Great. Can you say carpal tunnel?'
 
Anyway, staying true to my word, I now have 30+ letters to write. But I don't want them to be cookie-cutter copies of each other. I want them to be personal, and nothing says "personal" like custom made. Now, how personal is a plain white envelope that came in a pack of 100? None whatsoever, other than the fact that their address is on it. So, I decided that for each letter, I would make an envelope that I felt the recipient would enjoy. 
This is a very, very quick DIY! I was able to make 5 envelopes in about 5 minutes. And you can do this with any relatively sturdy paper product. I used scrapbook paper for mine, but you could use something else like sheet music, maps, construction paper-- get creative!

So, grab one of the aforementioned boring white envelopes...
And then carefully tear it apart.
The now open envelope will act as your template to shape your other envelopes. Lay it down on your paper, trace it with a pencil, and then cut out the shape you just drew.

 
Now, you should have a piece of paper the same size as your template:

Fold it like your original envelope was folded.
Glue it down with a glue stick. Glue that sucker good; you don't want it popping open. For safe measure, after I glued the necessary seams, I put glue over top of all the lines I created.


Let that dry, and then you're done! Put your letter or card inside, glue it shut, slap a label sticker on the front, and that baby is good to go. Did your envelopes turn out well? Share it in the comments!
Hope you enjoyed.



No comments:

Post a Comment